Wednesday, September 2, 2015

September in Sonoma County - The Earth Mother Strikes!

Frankly, it stinks. I mean, it stinks, literally.

I was driving home after work last night and as I came over the last hill I got a whiff of something. At first, I thought it was something in the car - it smelled horrible, but I couldn't place it. Kept driving, smell got stronger and was highly reminiscent (<== see that? scent - clever, huh?) Anyway. It smelled like old, sweaty gym socks. I rolled down the window so I wouldn't suffocate, and the smell got worse - sweaty gym socks overlain with the stench of a week-old diaper left under the porch so it would mildew and rot.

Oh, yeah. Fall in Sonoma County. Liquid manure spread hither and yon across the fields to prepare for the winter hay growing season. A memory I put out of mind as soon as the first rain comes and washes it down. In the meantime, it's not pleasant. It's fecund - like a giant cesspit.

Lovely, right? Makes you wanna hop right on that plane and head on over, doesn't it?

So why am I going on about this, spoiling your lunch or breakfast or whatever you might be doing? I don't know. Because I can, maybe? Because it's front and center in my awareness? Whatever. It is.

Other than that, things are quiet on this Western Front. Lots of little things going on, but nothing Earth shattering.

Fall is coming. All of the trees are starting to prepare themselves. The oaks are turning yellow, the poison oak - even though it nearly hospitalized me, once upon a time - is lovely to see. It's all different shades of red from pale to almost scarlet, really pretty in the sunshine. Warm days, cool nights and I have to say, I am looking forward to cooler nights, still.

There was wetness on the pavement in the backyard this morning. Not standing water - but the concrete patio was definitely dampish, so that's another encouraging sign.

I'm on the fence about the threats / promise of the El Nino. We desperately need the rain but we don't need so much we'll have floods and landslides. Just enough would be just enough, but what is that? Our aquifers are dry, or as close to as makes no difference. Lakes and reservoirs are showing bottoms that shouldn't be shown.

Personally, and I'm sure I am not alone in this, I am tired of watching every drop of water and capturing it as if I'm in Frank Herbert's book 'Dune'. I don't want to be profligate and waste it. I hate waste at the best of times but, oh! To be able to take a real shower! To wet and soap and rinse without rushing like a madwoman.

The ten minute showers that were routine before rationing are now down to about seven minutes or less and that three minutes makes a big difference in my feeling of well-being and satisfaction.

As for the relief El Nino might bring, there's no sign of it, yet, in the forecasts I've seen. Maybe the hay farmers know something I don't, though. They usually stink the place up a week or ten days before the rains start - it gives Nature a chance to do its thing before the miasma gets washed into the soil.

Well, I'm going to go out into the clean, fresh air of Napa County, take my walk and breathe deeply before going home this evening and holding my nose.

Have a lovely fresh air kind of day!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment