Monday, September 28, 2015

I Believe It. I Really Do.

Whew! Monday came and I think I figured out why I felt like I was hit by a stampede this weekend.

Aside from the general stress of wedding stuff and standing around and walking for the better part of ten hours, I think it has to do with what I've been putting into my body.

I am not a big health freak. I do not do, I categorically refuse to do, the vegan "thing" or the vegetarian "thing". Human beings did not evolve with fad diets and affected (or effete) dietary restrictions. This is, I believe, another thing that leads to health problems because human beings did not evolve as vegetarians or vegans. We evolved the same as other creatures - with specific dietary requirements. Mess with those too much at your own risk.

So I am proud to be an omnivore with no significant health issues. If I crave something - be it grain, vegetable, dairy or solid protein, I eat it. I figure if my body is screaming for something it's because that something has something that my body needs. I am very much a believer in we are what we eat and sometimes the taste buds direct us down the wrong path for too long.

Given that I was still stiff and sore this morning, a highly unusual condition for me, I started thinking "what have I been eating lately?"

The answer to my internal query is: protein. Thinking back for the past couple of weeks, I have been eating lentils, beans, meat, more meat, eggs, more... protein. Very little in the way of grains and veggies.

This, I suspect, is why my muscles and joints are aching. So I stopped at the store this morning and bought a container of tomato soup and another of chicken corn chowder. Yes, the latter has protein, but in such a negligible amount it doesn't count. I also bought a couple of rolls. Not health food stuff, at all, but bread. Ate one and immediately started feeling a little better. Despite my craving to chow down on the other one, too, I held it back and will have it tomorrow. After all, enough is enough, right? That, and the bagel... With the whipped cream cheese (mostly air so a little goes a long way). It does tell me, though - both the speedy response of my feeling better and the intense desire for more - that my body does need something other than protein.

Next I'll get some greens - kale and other stuff - and do that, too. In a couple of days, if I'm right about what's wrong, I'll feel much better. I suspect that I'll even start sleeping better with fewer 'power surges' and 'night glows' ('sweat' brings up too unpleasant an image, even if it is factual, so I'll go with 'night glow').

I've also solved the walking problem - the concern about the reason for my daily excursion down the street, etc.

We've had another change in staff here and things need to be gotten back under control in one area. I volunteered to help and now I'm up and down the street twice as much as I used to be. Heck, this morning was great! I walked down to drop off some of the what needs control, came back and a calendar reminder had popped up. I was supposed to be down the street for a meeting in... oh, two minutes. Grabbed the laptop and hustled back down the street.

Twenty minutes later I'm back here. Then, after I finish up my lunch (and this post), I'll get back to controlling what's run rampant, and will have another "excuse" to hustle down the street and back. That'll clock about a mile on the odometer. So, no need at all to worry about the walking. It's taken care of for the foreseeable future.

And joy of joys! I am feeling better. Isn't it great when you pay attention to your body and the signals it sends? I'll see how long it lasts, but for now, it's all good.

I hope you are too, and that you're having a spectacular Monday!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories


No comments:

Post a Comment