Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Oh! The Glory of Water Falling From the Sky!



It has been far too long since we have seen water falling from the sky in these parts. Last winter I think I could count, in a period of six months, perhaps five days of rain, maybe ten, but almost certainly no more than that.

Today it’s raining and it’s glorious! I’m so excited by the look and sound of it that I did something I would normally never do. I went out and I walked in it. Just a short jaunt down the street to the other office and back. Enough to get wet and have to use paper towels on my hair to get rid of the water.

It felt wonderful on the skin and in the nose because the air is soft and damp, everything smells rich and full. It’s beautiful.

Normally I don’t walk in the rain because I don’t like being cold. Even if there’s the promise of warmth at the end, the being cold is something I don’t like, so I ordinarily avoid it; particularly if it means sitting around in damp clothes waiting for them to dry. As I did this afternoon.

I will watch rain from an open window, breathing the smells and feeling the damp. I will snuggle under blankets and close my eyes just to listen to the tapping on a roof. Rarely do I deliberately go out and just walk, but I did today and then I was cold but it was so worth it.

It is a double-blessing because of the fire up in Lake County. With the rain falling here, I’m sure it’s falling there, too. With any luck, it’s at least knocking the flames down and, with a bit of good luck, it will be enough to let the firefighters get a handle on the thing before it dries out and heats back up tomorrow. Over the weekend, we’re projected to have our normal ‘Indian Summer’ weather of hot days and cool nights.

Maybe we'll be extremely lucky and this rain front will reach across and have an effect on the Butte fire that's burning in the Sierra Nevada foothills.

One of the ladies with whom I work who was displaced came in to work today for the first time since the fire started. She still hasn’t been able to get into her property to check on things. Her landlord, a fire chief in the area up there, did go and check. As of two days ago, the house was still standing but the fire circled back. According to the information she has, it missed again, so she’s been twice lucky. A benefit to living near the bottom of a hollow - a low point in a fold of the hills.

The poor thing though! She looks worn out and fragile - as she well might. Her hair and clothes smell like smoke. I know, because I hugged her. I'm not normally a hugger - I like people but I only hug those I know well. Today, though, I was so happy to see her safe and well I couldn't help myself. She’s an emotional wreck and cried when we hugged, cried again when I walked her back to the office and she was greeted by everyone there.

This too shall pass, but it is a salutary reminder of how important friends are. As I said the other day, we have been lucky in that none of our employees have lost their homes, so far as we yet know. Others have not been so lucky, and that is terribly sad to know.

Be safe and well. Hug your friends and family and be thankful for what you have.

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment