Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Am I Losing My Mind?

That's a rhetorical question by the way. I sometimes think I've lost it. Other times I think I'm losing it and occasionally I think it's there, fully intact and functioning.

Not this morning though. Either I'm losing what little mind I have left, or I have a poltergeist. Of the two, I'm not sure which I would prefer.

See, what happened is, I came downstairs this morning. I was remiss last night and didn't set up the coffee or my MIL's pills or any of the normal stuff I do to save time when I'm getting ready to leave for work. It's not a big deal - just five minutes or so. So, I came downstairs. I put water in the coffeemaker, got the filter into the basket and got the coffee from the freezer. All's well to this point.

Somewhere along the way I took the top off the coffee canister and put it down. Scooped coffee into the filter and went to put the top back on the coffee canister... It's nowhere to be found. I mean nowhere. It's as if it evaporated or something.

I know I got it out of the freezer. I didn't open the fridge or the pantry. I carried it to the counter. I opened it and, because of habit and familiarity, I'm not paying attention just now. I had to have set it down. I scooped the coffee and... The damned lid is gone.

Now wait, says I to myself. It was just here. I look. Nothing. I feel (we have black granite counters and the top is black). Not here. I squat down to get an eye-level view even though I know that I'm not that blind. Not there. Oh, well says I to myself. It'll turn up. I open the cabinet where we keep the cups - my cup isn't there. Huh. I wander out to the car and there it is. A simple case of forgetfulness last night that was easily remedied this morning. No muss, no fuss, no bother.

Except I still cannot find the top to the coffee canister. I have spent the last twenty minutes looking for the ruddy thing, and it isn't here. It was. I swear it was - I peeled it off the container, set it down and... poof. Gone.

Checked the freezer in case I was daydreaming and left it there. Nope. I've since checked three times.

Checked the car in case I was stupid and took it out and left it when I got my coffee cup (checked that, the garbage barrel and recycle barrel three times along the way). Nope, nothing. Not in the laundry room through which I had to pass to get to the garage, and not on the dryer where we sometimes leave things on our way in or out.

More head scratching.

I mean, I know I had it. I know it was here. I haven't forgotten the object - just where I put it down. And there aren't that many places. Didn't open the fridge. Didn't open the cabinets except the one in which we keep the cups. Didn't open the pantry. It's a process of elimination. Or it should be.

Checked the counter. Checked the garbage in case I got weird. Checked the cabinet, checked the counter. Now I'm starting to worry. Am I losing my mind? Checked the floor. Checked the island. Checked the freezer. Checked the drawer where we keep the coffee filters. Checked the drawer where we keep the silverware.

This kind of stuff is not the kind of stuff I do. I do other stuff, like forget to do things or go places and have to go back. But I do not misplace simple objects. And this scenario - me poking around in the places I've been or think I might have been this morning is both a waste of time and stupid! It's just the plastic lid to a plastic coffee canister but it's bugging me. As you might have noticed.

Checked the pantry. Checked... You get the picture, I'm sure.

For the moment I have a solution. I'll take the plastic lid off the other can of coffee that's sitting in the cabinet, unopened and vacuum sealed, and use that lid to close the open canister in the freezer. Until I track this one down.

We've all been here and done this. Wallets, car keys, credit cards, just about anything and we all know this is going to bug the crap out of me until it turns up. That's what these things do. Poke and prod and nudge and cause massive amounts of head scratching. Then, if and when we find it, we say, Soo that's where I left it! and it all becomes perfectly clear.

Right now, though, I'm in the 'this is bugging me to death' stage, so I'm going to send this off and get back to hunting.

Have a loss free day!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment