Saturday, May 30, 2015

Where Did My Saturday Go?

I woke up at 7:00 this morning. Instead of getting up, I lay there, playing around on my iPad - games and such.

Finally, Sam forced my hand. His crying was piteous and I had things to do.

Got Sam taken care of. Got the bathroom cleaned, the bed made, etc., then I sat down and started to write. Next thing I know it's almost 3:00 in the afternoon and I still haven't done the dusting or the shopping - the things on my to-do list I need to do.

Sheesh! So now, instead of doing the 'must dos' I'm doing this - which is fine because this, too, is a commitment I've made to myself. I'll whip this out and then go on to the other, less fun stuff.

In fact, I'll compromise. Instead of beating my empty head against the bricks of creation, I'll just post a flash piece.  How's that?

A Man Named Jack


The scent of cherry smoke woke me; a sweetness that tickles the nose and hints at taste.  At first, I didn’t think it was there, really.  I thought it was still my dream.  Turning over, I slithered under the covers, hoping to slip back into the nest of sleep, but the scent wouldn’t let go.  I sat up, listening.  It was still there, heavier, but there were no sounds except snores from Jeremy’s room.  I got up, shivering, because Jeremy insisted on leaving the windows open, even in the dead of winter.

After donning my robe and slippers, I peeked into my brother’s room.  He was sound asleep, snoring heavily as usual after a late night of drinking.  In the hall, the cherries were stronger.  Following the trace, my slippers whispered on the hall runner.

The study door was ajar, showing golden in the gap.  Surprised that Jeremy had left the fire burning, I pushed the door wide.  Surprise became astonishment when I saw a dapperly dressed man I had never seen before sitting in the wingchair.  His fingers curled lovingly around the bowl of a pipe, from which arose the heavenly scent that had woken me.  He moved, withdrawing the pipe stem from between the neat mustache and trim beard.

“Hello, Jillian.”  His voice was soft, like warm honey, and, by the light of the fire, I saw the skin around his eyes crinkle when he smiled.

I leaned against the solidity of the doorframe, afraid, but not.  He was so calm, looked so easy and natural there, he didn’t seem to be a threat.  After a minute, when I didn’t move or speak, he shifted, crossing one leg over the other.

“You’re wondering who I am, what I’m doing here, aren’t you?”

Still I didn’t move, even to acknowledge him.

His eyes looked away, into the fire, then turned back.  “You look like her.  Like your mother, I mean.”  The lines in his face, caught by the light from the fireplace, deepened.  His expression became hurt.  “I shouldn’t be surprised she never told you about me.  I know she wanted to forget.  She said she did, but she never could.”

“How did you know her?”  My mother died when I was three, killed in an accident, and no one my father’s family had ever talked about her, shutting down questions almost before the asking.

Despite the oddity of having a complete stranger sitting in my brother’s study, smoking a pipe at two-thirty in the morning, I felt excited.  I stepped away from the solidity of wood, drifting to stand by the partner of the chair in which the man sat.  “Who are you?”

The lips curled, the eyes crinkled.  “My name is Jack.”  The smile faded, saddened.  “Yes, I knew her.  Long, long ago, before you were born.”

“Are you related?”

Another flash of humor.  “To her?  No.”

“Then to whom?  What are you doing here?”

“I came to see you.”

“Me?”

“Yes, you.”  He gestured at the other chair, and I sank onto its cushion.  “I heard your … father died, and that you were here for the funeral, so I came to see you, to introduce myself.”

I waited, knowing he would tell me whether I asked or not.

“I met her when she was sixteen.  Friends invited her to a party, and that’s where we were introduced.  For her, it was instant love.  She said she never felt alive until I was there.  Years went by and she fell in and out of love.  When she was almost thirty, she met your father and, for a time, she gave him the devotion she had shown me.  But he traveled, made her feel neglected and she took back up with me.  Your father made her feel unloved, taken for granted.  Then Jeremy was born, and things got better.

“When she was thirty-four she met Matthew, a man your father hired to work around the house.  Lonely, unhappy, she was easy prey and Matthew took advantage.  Their affair ended when he left one morning, without a word.  She had confessed to him that she was pregnant, but that wasn’t something he had bargained for.

“She took back up with me.  For three years, she made any excuse she could think of to spend time in my company.  Even when your father begged her to stop, to think of you and Jeremy, she couldn’t.  It was too late.  Six months later, on her way home from shopping for your birthday dress, she ran into the tree, killing herself and nearly killing you and Jeremy.”

My throat was dry and I colder than the air around me.  All those years, nearly twenty-five of wondering why and how, and here, in my father’s study, this stranger had given some answers.  More, I had been given questions.

“How do you know all of this?”  I hadn’t meant to waste a question.  It just slipped out.

The man’s laugh was warm and smooth, like bourbon.  “Because I was there , through it all.  I helped her try to deal with her pain, her fear, her insecurity.  When she felt lonely or sad, she took me up.  I was with her when she died.

“You see, my dear, my name is Jack Daniel’s and I was your mother’s favorite crutch.”
 
* * * * *

Have a lovely weekend!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment