Saturday, May 2, 2015

Insanity Left Behind...

I'm tired of the stuff and nonsense of the past week.

Idiocy in Baltimore culminating with criminal charges levied against six police officers with no apparent investigation completed. Lunacy in Colorado with the school saying 'oops'.

I'm done. The world didn't blow up or implode, beyond the havoc wreaked in Baltimore neighborhoods about which I can do nothing, so I'm going to go back to normal. I'll pay attention to what interests me and not get too jacked up about other stuff.  Yeah - I'm a selfish cow.

This weekend should be really nice in many respects. The weather is going to be warm and wonderful. Maybe we'll do a barbecue (steaks? chicken?). Easily warm enough for me to dry my laundry outside. To me, that's almost a Zen experience. I don't know why, but it's relaxing and satisfying. Once things are dry, it's simpler than picking through a laundry basket to find like things for folding.

I have a few errands - have to pick up 'scrips for my mother-in-law (refill the household pharmacy), and some food for Sam, my increasingly finicky 18-year old cat:



He's my baby who insists that my sole purpose for existence is to provide him a cat pillow.  I cannot sit down without him appearing and shoving anything I might have in his way, out of the way.  I love him to pieces, of course.

Other than the meds, the cat food, the laundry and cleaning my house, things should be nice and quiet.

On my drive to work yesterday, I was pondering my almost impossible to ignore craving for chow mein and have decided to have a go at fixing it tomorrow. I've never cooked a Chinese meal, let alone chow mein, but what have I got to lose? Unless I don't cook the chicken properly, it won't kill me (even if it doesn't taste quite like I hope it will).

I've decided that I'll start by pan frying sliced skinless chicken thighs in some sesame oil until they're cooked through and nicely browned. Then I'll deglaze the pan with some balsamic vinegar and cook up sliced onion (to sweeten it). From there, I'll cook up batches of mushrooms, slivered bell pepper and baby bok choy while I roast some Brussels sprouts with garlic and balsamic vinegar. Once the veggies are all cooked, I'll fry up some chow mein noodles (which will have cooked and drained while I do everything else). Then, when it's all done, I'll mix it together in a big glass bowl and voila - lunches for a week.  If I want the soy flavor, I'll add it after I'm done cooking since it's so salty and I don't want to taste that much salt.

On a separate note, because the weather has been so perfect these past few days, I've been trying to catch pictures of some of the little points of interest on my commute.  There are a few places I want to capture, one of which is Porter Creek:


I drive over it every morning and for almost a year I've enjoyed seeing the daily changes in light and shadow and color. The other morning I finally made a point of stopping to capture it - and really like the result!

There are a few other places, too.  Silly places and pretty places, and all are fodder (or will be) for my camera as I have the right time of day and enough time to stop and compose. Perhaps I'll get out Sunday morning, before my adventure into stir fry, and get some pics.  The road is narrow and very busy during the week but, perhaps, on an early Sunday it will be quieter.

As for the fun parts of my weekend, I have lots to do.

I'm way-y-y-y-y overdue on providing a read and crit on several books at Authonomy.

I'm also in the throes of creating my sequel to 'Lothario & The New Girl'.

For Lothario, I've got the front and back covers done and I've started the upload process on Create Space so, in a few months - I'll set 'er free! I just want to make sure book two is well along so that in a few months after Lothario's release, I'll be ready for Laurentina's Lessons.

Busy times, really busy and a whole lot of fun!

Have a gorgeous weekend!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment