Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A Brand New Day. A Fresh Start. A Flash Piece.

After yesterday's post, I had second thoughts, but I don't regret opening the door to that bit of myself. It's a part of me, of who I am and the 'human' side, so I'll keep it.

Today, though, I have a chance to start over, to do better.  It's only about thirty minutes since I crawled out of bed, so I have the whole day ahead of me.

Over on Authonomy, I've been set a challenge. Well, okay. Not me, personally. It's a group challenge for those of us who participates in FFF every week. We have our next 'assignment' - 'Night Stalker'.

The first thing that comes to mind is a series of bad movies from the 1970's. The first was about a newspaper reporter investigating a string of murders which just happened to have been committed by a vampire. Naturally, he's laughed off as an idiot but is then proved right. Ho hum.

Then there was the second movie, 'Night Strangler', just as bad.  They gave 'B' movies a bad rep.

Anyway. So I'm sitting here pondering 'Night Stalker'. How am I going to use that for my story this week? Dusk and dawn edge the night, so they could stalk it. Or someone creeping around, a voyeur or an assassin, a cat burglar or a guardian angel. All sorts of chances and choices. I'll have to think about it on my way to work, but in the meantime, I wrote this a while back in response to a photo of the Milky Way posted by another member on Authonomy:

Lost and Found



I lay still, too tired to move, too weak to care about the stones that dug deep into my muscles.  The day had been hot, the sun relentless and the blisters it left behind throbbed and stung.  Soft desert air, as light and dry as a feather, slithered across my skin, easing me only slightly.  I knew it was illusion, another of the desert mirages, only real.  One that was stealing the last of my body’s moisture, the sweat that stained and stiffened my clothes and beaded my skin, but I could do nothing about that, either.  Overhead, the net of diamonds spread wide, from horizon to horizon.  This, at least, would ease my passing.  The knowledge that what my desiccated eyes saw would remain, would come again tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, heedless of me, and others like me.

I tried to swallow but my tongue clicked and scraped.  I tried to lick my split and burned lips but it hurt.  The stars marched in circular motion while minutes slid by.

My back told me of its approach.  A faint vibration that grew by infinitesimal degree, morphing to a rumble it came closer.  The rumble lifted from the ground, growing into the air, coming closer still.  It came into sight – a great hulking box shaped behemoth that looked magnificent and beautiful – with bare slits that blinded me when the headlights played over my body.  Friend or enemy, I didn’t care.  This was life, salvation, if only for a time.

The night was suddenly loud with the sound of the engine, voices calling.  I forced my unwilling body to move, just to prove I wasn’t yet dead.

“Sarge!”  Nelson’s voice, I recognized it.  He sounded excited.  “Sarge!  It’s Bradford.  He’s alive!”

“What?  Where?”

“There!”  A light swept around, blinding me in its gleam.

“Shit!”  The Humvee stopped with a jerk.  Doors opened, footsteps crunched, coming closer and dark shadows bent or knelt down, obliterating the spangled Heavens.

“Bradford?”  The heavy shape of my sergeant came closer, “You alive?”

My throat stuck on the words so I moved.

“Medic!”  Sergeant Gardner stood up, turning toward the cluster of figures hovering in the background.

Hands lifted my head.  The plastic lip of a canteen was given me, teasing, taken back before I’d had more than a bare sip.  My tongue eased.  The canteen came back and I sucked greedily before it was taken away again, sharply.  I felt the tissue in my cheeks fill, delicious as the silvery feeling liquid slipped down my throat, releasing the fear held in check and washing it away.

“Easy, Bradford, take it easy.  There’s more, but take your time else you’ll get sick.”

The plastic came back and I closed my eyes, the feel of the water beyond description.

“Can we move him?”

A light played down my body, pausing here and there before being shut off, allowing darkness and starlight back in.

“Yeah, we can move him.  He’s gonna need real treatment, soon.  Those burns are bad, but he doesn’t look injured.”

“What about the others?”  Gardner looked around, peering off into the night lit only by the Milky Way’s beauty.

“No.”  It was a croak that rasped the throat and stuck only halfway out.

Gardner grunted as though belly punched, and moved back.  “Package him and get him in the truck.  We need to beat feet.”


No one spoke.  Hands lifted, gingerly, as though I might break.  They carried me around the truck to the back gate where other hands took hold, pulling me inside.  My eyes stayed lifted to the sky.  The diamonds there were none I would ever forget and knew I would often remember as my body healed and as I grew old.

* * * * *

So here we are. A chance to begin again, start anew and be better than yesterday. I'll try. Hope you will, too!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment