Sunday, May 24, 2015

Still Climbing

It's Sunday and I'm back where I was the other day. No idea what to write, but that's okay. It's the exercise, right?

How about I introduce you to my stories and characters? That's as good as anything else, right?  Here goes.

I've retitled 'Lothario & the New Girl' to 'Laurentina's Lessons' for two reasons. First, 'Lothario' isn't widely recognized anymore. People don't get the association or implication. Second, because it's kind of 'too nice', not really what I want. For those reasons, I've changed it to 'Laurentina's Lessons'. Or, to be more accurate, I will after I get the rejection from HC-Oz I'm anticipating.

In sum, this is an erotic romance with a goodly dollop of humor in which the characters have character.

Lacy is smart as a whip and is her own woman, ready to go toe-to-toe with anyone.

Willis is both jaded and naive when it comes to women. He doesn't realize that they are more than a collection of orifices for a man's pleasure.

Sonya is Willis's regular bedmate when he's between lovers. She's a high-end call girl but is always available to Willis because he was the one who helped her get started in her 'profession'.

Laurentina is Lacy's father's mistress and Lacy's surrogate mother. She is the one who teaches Lacy everything she needs to know about men and women. It is her lessons that are scattered through the story. A woman should never wear a watch. A woman is responsible for finding the balance point in her relationships, and managing her man. Women have power, and so on.

Stan is Willis's boss. He likes Willis, but also has some reservations. He knows Willis's reputation with women but doesn't condemn it because Willis is very good at his job and, so long as his peccadilloes don't interfere with business, he overlooks them.

This is primarily the story of Willis and Lacy, his schooling and coming to realize that he has found a woman who is worthy of his tears.


Another book I'm prepping for publication is 'Matters of Friendship'. This is a straightforward Women's Fiction story about a recently divorced woman who is attracted to a male friend who just happens to be married.

NOTE: I do have a name for the main female protag but I am considering changing it. When I began writing this, I wasn't sure I could develop it into something commercially viable so I used my own name as a placeholder. Now, it's coming together and I need to decide on a name - even though I do like aspects of this character's name. In the meantime, though, Name TBD is the female protag.

Name TBD and Peter meet when they work together for a time. They become friends and then, after nearly a year, Name TBD gets terminated because of workforce reductions at their company.

They lose track of one another for a few years. In the meantime, she divorces her husband, buys and renovates a house, and stays in touch with former colleagues from the company where she worked with Peter.

When Karen, Name TBD's friend plans a 'resurrection party' to mark the onset of Name TBD's new single life, Peter is invited but doesn't come. Name TBD learns that Peter's wife has been diagnosed with cancer.

That's where things would remain if Peter didn't show up on Name TBD's doorstep one afternoon. He had learned of Name TBD's divorce and where she lives when Karen dropped by the bike shop Peter and his wife, Lara, own and operate. He was out for a ride and, on a whim, decides to drop in and say hello.

They get to talking and things develop from there. Through various circumstances Name TBD becomes more involved with Peter's family. It's rocky and uncomfortable because of Lara's cancer, Peter's trying to hold things together while being attracted to Name TBD.

One night, about a year after they meet again, her house is broken into. There's a police investigation and all sorts of bad things happen, up to and including the near demolition of Name TBD's house (sorry, no spoilers beyond that).

So that's where my energies are going these days. I also have several others nibbling around the back of my brain.  The sequel to 'Laurentina's Lessons', 'Genevieve's Piano', 'Elizabeth's Braid', 'Downlander', 'Weight of Air' and 'Moments' all have different things perking so I'll see where I end up next.

Have a lovely day!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment