Friday, August 21, 2015

Day Two - Pulse is Still Strong, Still Breathing

After the shock of learning that the incubator for me and for many other aspiring writers is being shut off at the end of September, a lot of energy has been spent scrambling to find a viable alternative.

It's wonderful being in a group of creative and resourceful people. I don't consider myself so. Just because I express my imagination doesn't make me creative or resourceful. It just means I spend a lot of time in front of a computer writing what I think or feel or imagine.

On the other hand, there are a few that have set up a free website for writers. It isn't polished and pretty, but it's pretty cool that it's free and has many of the same message boards as the forum on Authonomy. Yesterday, I signed up and it's a place where I can keep in touch with the acquaintances I've made on Autho until the last of the dust settles.

I started re-upping my profiles in other places, too. Book Country being the first, Scribophile will be next. I signed up for Scribblers - the site created by the resourceful gentleman from Authonomy and I'll go back to Scribophile which is a little strange in its format.

There will be life after Authonomy, but people are already scattering, and that's sad. Some choose not to be on Facebook, which is fine and understandable, but the thought of losing touch with them is depressing.

Yes, I know. Life will go on, and I'll have fond memories of them, but there will be a hole where they once stood.

Since I didn't know them well or personally, it will be a small hole, but a void and my life will be poorer for not having them there. Ah, well.

We all make choices and everyone lives with them. The benefit is that I had the chance to get to know these people a little, however fleetingly, and I am better for it - so I win even though I also lose.

Perhaps, once the silence of not participating in an active group settles around them like a cloak, they will reach out and join other sites. Who knows, perhaps we'll stumble across one another again - on the other side.

But there are a lot of people that are wanting to stay connected. I've reached out to many of them on Facebook, and on Book Country. I'll do the same on Scribophile. It won't be the same, but that is a part of life and living.

Change is hard for people. But to remain static is to die, so change is good. It refreshes and regenerates and, no matter how sad I am to see Authonomy go, I still say that I am richer for having belonged.

So - I'm off to struggle with the change, to embrace and accept it by signing up on the writer's sites that I can find so I can see which will become my new 'home'.

Have a lovely day!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment