Saturday, August 22, 2015

Saturday Afternoon Post

Sorry for that title. It's not quite plagiarism. If I had waited a few hours, it would be, but it's not evening here, yet, so I'm safe, except for the bad play on words. Besides, it is Saturday, it is afternoon and this is a post, so it's appropriate.

I have re-upped or upped on all the writer's sites in which I'm interested. I've heard too many stories about people pirating stories on Wattpad, so I'm not interested in that, and I have limited time, so I'll stick to what I've got.

I spent some time on Book Country last night and posted a crit. I still don't like that site - it feels closed in and it's hard to navigate because it's not intuitive. I'll keep pecking away at it and see if it gets easier or more comfortable.

As for Scribophile, I haven't changed my opinion about it. I do like the inline critique feature of it, but that's about all I like. The forums are dead. I dropped into their Flash Fiction group yesterday and the last post was ten months ago. I also noted that someone had commented on what I posted there - months ago. I sent a thank you and got a message back: "Didn't even know you'd left." Hmm. That says pretty much all there is to say.

I did sign up for two others and need to drop in and see what's going on with them, but I don't have high hopes.

In the meantime, this was supposed to be a day for writing. Instead, I've spent my entire morning sulking. Playing computer games (Farm Heroes) and watching Bond movies. What I'm not doing is what I meant to do yesterday and looked forward to doing last night. It's just a bit depressing given the current state of affairs. There's time, later.

I have to say, I do enjoy James Bond movies - they're stupid but fun. Just finished watching Goldeneye and now I'm on Tomorrow Never Dies. It's easy on the eyes (they always choose such good looking men for the role of Bond) and the brain (no thinking is needed).

Speaking of movies, we watched the remake of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' with Donald Sutherland last night. I like the original, but the remake is really quite good. It starts off slow, and I suspected Leonard Nimoy's character of being a pod-guy straight from the off - as soon as I saw him - but it was still well done.

I'll get to writing here in a bit. I'm feeling the need building - and writing this post isn't taking the edge off. I just don't know what I'll work on.

I took a look at Book Three of Elizabeth's Braid yesterday and it isn't as bad as I had expected it would be. It's not good, because it was written three years ago, before I knew as much as I know now, so it's wordy and repetitious, it needs some trimming and cleaning, but it starts off well.

'Would it have been deemed accident or suicide? 'twas a question to which I would never have the answer for I had not died.'

I think that's pretty intriguing as a story open. Unfortunately, as much as I prefer begin as I mean to continue, it didn't continue that well. There's a good story in there. It's just cluttered up with 'newbie' writing.

In Book Two, Elizabeth and her husband are at a house party.  While they're there, Elizabeth catches the eye of a man who it is later revealed (in Book Four) is part of a human trafficking ring. This group kidnaps young women and sells them overseas as sex slaves.

He stalks her for days. Her husband has seen her watching this man and has gotten the wrong idea. It all leads up to his final assault on her during which she and her assailant are discovered - after he's beaten her nearly unconscious. He's not successful - they're found before he finishes the deed, but it's enough to destroy her reputation.

Since this story is set in the early part of the 19th century, such an event was almost always presumed to be the lady's fault. She must have been loose, have led him on or done something to make him lose control.

I won't go into any detail because I don't want to give anyone else any ideas, or spoil the story for anyone who might buy it once I get it published.

Book three picks up when she's reflecting on the past months - and her near suicide.

Naturally, I think this is a ripping good tale. I just need to clean it up and get it ready to go. So maybe that's what I'll work on this weekend. Otherwise, perhaps, I'll work on something else.

I'll have to think about it. While I do the shopping, which I need to get out and do, so I'll finish this up.

Have a lovely day!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment