Sunday, August 30, 2015

Groan... I Can't Complain, But I Will Comment

A day of obligation, which is a good thing because it means I've gotten something.

It's been a busy week, trying to keep up with four writer's websites along with trying to keep pace with life.

I'm still peeking in on Authonomy, dropping my observations about the other sites that I've checked out. I never did cancel my membership on Scribophile. I thought about it, but left it standing. As for Book Country, I did hit the delete button on that. Not being able to upload anything was frustrating - even though... Well, enough. It was frustrating so I gave up. If they fix it, I may go back, but I have no interest in retyping 60,000+ words so I can put up a story - and that's what seems to be needed based on my experience.

Scribblers is a writer's site set up by some of the clever people from Authonomy, and it's great to be able to go and visit with the people I've come to know. I submitted to the Flash Fiction thread and spent an hour this morning reading and voting, but after posting there yesterday... Honestly? I do not know what's come into me this week.

There, the prompt there was torchlight. My story was about a woman whose older brother is a tease. One night when they're kids, they're "camping" in their backyard and she eggs him into telling her the story 'The Man With The Golden Arm' - that classic tale of murder that frightened many of my generation when told by the the light of the moon. Years later, all grown up, she gets home late. She's already irritated by a 'bitch' of a day, and is further angered by the fact that the faulty wiring is out. Again. She's getting the candles out when she's surprised by her brother coming into the room behind her, holding his torch under his chin to highlight his face in that odd and eerie way. Angry at her day, furious with her brother because he just won't stop doing crap like that, she steps forward and wham - right between the legs. He goes down and that's when the finicky lights come on. And she discovers it's not her brother and he, whoever he is, was carrying a knife.

Over on WriteOn the Weekend Write-In prompt was falsetto with a five-hundred word limit that had to address someone breaking into song an an inopportune moment. In that, my story was about a young woman who's being walked home by someone she met in a bar. Along the way, he drags her off the street, into an alley, not knowing she studies mixed martial arts. Story opens with him on the ground, wheezing and shrieking through his teeth while clutching himself - there. It's actually quite funny, because I end with them at the police station giving their statements. He bursts into song when asked what he does for a living. The song? 'I Feel Pretty' because his job is acting in a drag revue.

Variations on a theme... Nonetheless, those plus the WEbook Monthly competition are calling my attention because for the comments I receive, I must return - so it's time consuming, although entertaining. Another four or five on WEbook, and then I have to turn my attention to WriteOn. There, I have a number of entries in their writing competition, and then I have a book to read and comment upon, and then, maybe, I'll have a little time to work on mine? If I'm not exhausted and burned out.

The hardest part about commenting, for me, is saying what I think in such a way that it's understandable - I have to explain what I found and then explain what could be improved. For instance, I read one piece yesterday where there are a lot of 'I' driven actions. I did this, and I did that and I did the other. After complaining about the driver, I rewrote the paragraph to eliminate them - so it's not only a reading exercise, it's a composition exercise that takes time and energy. But it's what I hope to get so that I can improve, too. Quid pro quo goes a long way in the writing world.

So, I'll wrap this up, go get some sustenance for the writerly journey, and get to work. Have a lovely day!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment