Sunday, December 20, 2015

Rainy Sunday and Promise of More

It's Sunday afternoon, I'm feeling lazy and a bit sleepy, not sure what to write but doing it anyway because it's good exercise.

Except for my blog I haven't been doing any other writing these days. Instead, I'm sulking because of information I came across that will affect my future. I haven't decided what to do about it, how I'm going to deal with it, but neither of the obvious choices is palatable. Not being palatable means I'm standing still for the time being. Nothing is pressing me to make a move, so I'll stand still and consider until the time comes when I have to make a decision.

Outside it's cold (<50d) and raining. We got rain Friday and a tiny bit yesterday. Today is the first day in the promised week of rain where we've had decent quantities falling from the sky.

That's both good and bad. I want the rain to come and keep coming because I want the drought to be over. I also want it to come in moderation, a bit every day or two so we don't end up with flooding or landslides. Particularly in the areas up in Lake County that were devastated by fires this past summer.

That would be a heckuva thing. Avoid getting burned out and then have a hill slide onto your house because the fire ravaged all the vegetation holding the soil on the slope above. It's happened in Southern California often enough and there's no reason it couldn't / won't happen here. I hope it doesn't, which is why I'm torn between wanting it to rain and rain and rain and not. Ideally, we would get enough to get the vegetation started, the weeds growing and give them a chance to take root and get the brush, the manzanita and other scrub growing again. Too much to ask, I guess, because the weather dudes were saying last week that the rain will continue off and on through Christmas. A case of you can't have it both ways. Then, next month is when El Nino is supposed to take off and really get going.

Given the rain and the wind I'm seeing through the window, I am glad I got my errands done yesterday. At least I don't have to go out in it today. I even filled my tank, so I won't have to stop for gas again until next weekend.

Yesterday, while I was out, I stopped at the supermarket and picked up a tub of yogurt. I thought it was plain but it's not. It's Greek vanilla and, OMG, where has it been all my life?!? I had a tiny bit this morning and thought I had died and gone to Heaven so I had more, with some of the berry syrup I made even though it was still hot.

See, I want to have grab-and-go stuff for breakfast and lunch. When I'm running around in the morning, getting ready for work and trying to get out the door, I don't want to have to think too hard about what I'm going to eat. I almost always cook on the weekends - a big pot of something or other, or a roast or something that I can work into a week's worth of lunches.

Last weekend I made a big pot of rotini pasta, sauteed a bunch of veggies - bell peppers, onion, celery and mushrooms - seasoned them with sage and tossed it together. Really delicious and grab-and-go once I fixed up containers of it. I also baked some chicken thighs and kept them on-hand. That made it through the week although I finished the chicken today for lunch. Still, I have two more containers of the pasta for tomorrow and Tuesday.

Given the rant about my bodily feelings the other day, I've decided to add yogurt and berries to my diet. The yogurt is good in a lot of ways and so are the berries. This morning I separated most of yogurt into containers - about 1 C in each - and I boiled the bag of frozen berries into a syrup. Once the berries finish cooling, I'll add a bit of the syrup to each of the yogurt containers - just over the top. Then I'll be ready to go for the week. I'll also know how much I need to freeze because I know the syrup won't keep. I made a LOT of it, but that's good. I'll have enough for future use.

I think that with a dollop of sweet wine, a Gewurztraminer or a fruity schnapps, some after-dinner liqueur added in, it would be heavenly over ice cream. I also think it would be delicious over baked salmon or chicken breast. I'll have to get creative and find ways to use it. It shouldn't be hard. If I can figure out how to make myself feel better and lose some of that excess weight I also ranted about, I'll be a happy girl.

Even though it's raining today, I did get exercise yesterday. I went out early and got the shopping done before most anyone arrived at the stores then, because it was so nice, I did some yard work. I clipped back the neighbor's roses that lean over our fence and took a goodly swipe at the gigantic jasmine that's taken over half our yard.

The fence in the back is in such bad shape that we put lipstick on it to hold it up through the winter. Actually, it's not really lipstick. They're metal posts that hubby pounded into the ground in strategic places. Next spring we are going to have to replace the fence, so the jasmine will come all the way out. As it was, it was growing over and through the railing on our side deck - threatening to take over the pile of Hillbilly furniture that we still haven't got rid of.

Hubby's still talking about doing that, so I haven't given up hope. I think he's waiting until the new tax year so we can pick through it again and decide what can be donated and what's garbage so we can get a bit of return on our taxes at the end of 2016. Whatever. At some point none of this will matter. It will all be in the past and something new will have taken its place.

And, with that happy tone, I'm done. I am sleepy so I'm going to indulge in a nap.

I hope you have a wonderful day - lazy or not, just as you choose.

Best~
Philippa.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment