Sunday, December 13, 2015

Life Is Amazing

More than the simple living and breathing and growing and dying, the matters involved with living life are amazing. The little moments, the tiny things in the seconds that pass by in our days. Each one, painful or not, is a miracle.

I'll confess to drinking a touch more than I should have last night. We had Drambuie in the house that hubby brought home on Thanksgiving. As I have occasionally since then, I had a small after dinner tot. Until last night it was just one, perhaps a finger or two. Last night, though... I don't know what happened.

I had one. Then I wanted another because the first one tasted so good. By the end of the second my face was numb, my normal "stop" sign. But damn that second one tasted good, too. There was just a little left in the bottle, only... Oh. Crap. Two fingers, not one. Well, it's in the glass now, so what the hell.

When it was all over I felt good - not "buzzed" - just relaxed and ready to sleep. I came upstairs, did my cat settling and me settling and all was well and right with my part of the world when I fell asleep.

Early this morning, around 0400 or so, there was a change in weather - a low front was coming through with rain. The sound of rain in the downspouts and the change in pressure coupled with the overindulgence woke me up to a massive sinus headache and moderately queasy stomach.

The pain in my face was bad enough that I wondered if people's heads ever explode from overfull sinuses. I put my hands over my cheeks and eyes, pressing to hold it all together while allowing the warmth to build and start relieving the pain. (Yes, I know there are pills for that, but I do not take pills unless I think I might die - it's just a personal thing.) I drank some water, went downstairs and got a piece of bread and another bottle of water - carbonated this time. I really didn't want the bread but ate it anyway, then started on the water. After a while, I fell asleep for a couple of more hours and woke up feeling fine - no headache, just a need to relieve pressure elsewhere, which I did. (Gee, ma, how's that for a euphemism?)

Since then the low front has passed, taking the rain and the pain with it. Now it's cloudy and windy with patches of blue sky - a pretty fall day. I have to go out later and run errands. I have got to replace my shoes because they're tattered and torn and beyond hope. They're comfortable though. And since I would rather drive a nail through my foot than shop they're still, in theory, the better alternative. However, the time has come and I just have to suck it up and do it. Shop, that is, not do the nail driving thing. I've had enough pain for one day.

As I posited in my post the other day, the pressure in my life has eased, too. That spread-too-thin feeling has abated. It's like being in a river. One minute you're racing ahead, bouncing off of obstacles and impediments, spinning and flailing and feeling that control will never return. The next, the water slows, it spreads deeper and wider, becomes calm and easy. You can breathe and take time to look around, consider options and ideas. That's where I am, now. That deep and calm place. How long it will last is anyone's guess, but for me, for now, I'll enjoy it.

That's one of the amazing things in life. That evolution between chaos and calm and chaos that's a part of living and breathing.

Did all of those chaotic things get dealt with last week? No.
Did life as we know it end because of it? No.
Will life end because they didn't get done? No.

I did get the hotel reservations made, and then changed them when the dates changed.

I did get lunch ordered. One of my errands today is to buy serving dishes and utensils for it. It's Chinese and I think it would be a bit declasse to serve it from the take-away boxes. Besides, I serve lunch to groups at least once a month and having serving things at work instead of having to remember to bring them from home would be helpful.

I did get more of the accounts payable items off my desk, and was asked to help with accounts receivable while our A/R clerk is out for a period of time. So the potential for more chaos, but we'll see how it goes - how much is needed and how far it will go.

I did get the approval for the carpeting, and then got a change to the price from the vendor and am back in negotiations, still with the goal of getting the carpet installed by year-end. Heck! I have three weeks, right?

I didn't get the Gantt chart worked through, and that's a big one.

I didn't get the meetings relating to it scheduled for the coming week, and that's another big one.

I didn't get the team meetings for next year scheduled, but that's a small one. I can do that in the space of thirty minutes on Monday morning - at least get them scheduled for January in that time frame. Then I can tackle February and March sometime between now and the end of the year, so people have time to plan.

A step at a time, that's all anyone can do and I'm doing my best. Things will come and things will go, some will stay the same and others will change, it's all just a matter of keeping at it. Even when it does feel overwhelming. Even if you do something silly and ill-considered and end up with a headache. This too shall pass. And to help it pass, something amusing for your viewing pleasure (trust me - it is funny and wildly different from what you might expect from the intro):


And I found that because I was searching for a rendition of "Rejoice" - in keeping with the underlying theme of this post - by The King's Singers. The song, "Gaudete", is from the 16th century. It seems fitting with life and living and breathing and all the rest of it so here it is:


I wish you a joyous day full of life and living and breathing and the miracles of seconds passing us by.

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment