Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Mental Meanders or Through the Looking Glass



This is a weird day. It's more than peculiar, it’s weird and it’s barely begun. When I started this, I had no clue, no vaguest hint of what I would put down or where it would go so let's see what happens.

I woke up early, about twenty minutes before my alarm was set to go off at 4:45. For whatever reason, when I stopped sleeping and my brain kicked in, I felt a sense of foreboding. Like something momentous and not so good is going to happen. It makes me a bit nervous. It's nothing I can pin down, nothing I can point to. Just a weird feeling that something is not right or something won't be right. It's like the heavy weight that is the prelude to a massive thunder storm.

Since I did get up without injuring myself, turned off the alarm without incident and made it downstairs safely, it’s none of those things. I didn’t electrocute myself when I turned on the coffeemaker. So it’s not that. I turned on my computer and nothing bad happened there. So far, so good.

Well, we’ll see. In life, at times like this, I find it’s best to hunker down in my seat and just be a passenger. What will come will come and que sera sera.

The good news that's going to be widely heralded today is the Warriors win over the Cavaliers last night. Even though I don’t follow, watch or (sorry everyone who does) care at all about basketball, congratulations to the Golden State Warriors! It’s been a long forty years since they won a championship and I’m delighted their drought is over.

What is a very pleasant surprise this morning is that the team’s fans didn’t burn down half the city in celebration last night. Oakland is a blue collar community with a history and reputation as being ‘rough’. Kudos to the residents for not getting stupid and ruining a great party.

Upon checking, it doesn’t look like the Chicago Blackhawk fans did anything silly in Chicago, either, which is also great news. But I guess they're kind of used to it, three Stanley Cup wins in six years. I guess they're a bit blase these days.

The reason I sound cynical is because when sports teams win something important, like a title, it seems that some fans take that as a sign to riot. I think a lot of people expected something bad to happen in Oakland if they won, and it didn’t, and that’s great. Particularly since the Oakland Athletics are doing so poorly. The juxtaposition between one team and the other this year is stark.

Last year, the Warriors got into the playoffs but got knocked out. This year they won the championship

Last year the A’s looked like they might get to the championships, except things started to fall apart with trades and injuries in the last third of the season, so they missed. This year, after trading away some of their better players last season, the A’s, in a word, suck. The poor players can’t catch a break even though most of them are playing their hearts out, but management, through its trade decisions, gutted a very good team.

Now I don’t know why they made the choices they did because I wasn’t in the room when things were decided. Perhaps the players were unhappy. Rumor has it that Josh Donaldson said some pretty inexcusable things to the manager, and that’s why he’s gone. No one with whom I’ve spoken understands why Yoenis Cespedes was traded, though. The guy was a solid outfielder and downright amazing at the All Star Home Run Derby two years straight but pffft off he went. Maybe he asked for the trade? I don’t know. Perhaps the team management just thought someone else might do better in those positions. Perhaps it was a combination. I don’t know. All I know is the result. Last year the A’s had walk-off after walk-off and they looked really strong through most of the year.

Oh! Excuse me for being rude. For non-fans, when a team is trailing or tied in the last half of the last inning and they win, it’s called a walk-off.

The Giants did that to get to the World Series last year – if someone had written a script for that team in the playoffs – start to finish – it would have been laughed at by a potential agent or publisher and pitched in the bin. It really was, in a lot of ways, a fairytale.

Travis Ishikawa, who hit the game winning walk-off in the bottom of the ninth inning against the St. Louis Cardinals to get the Giants to the World Series had talked about quitting baseball altogether before being signed by the team. Then he does this (it's short and it's great because there is such a feeling of tension and then - jubilation):



And the Giants go to the World Series, which they won.

Thanks Warriors and Giants. I feel better now.

 Have a lovely day!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me at Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment