Wednesday, February 10, 2016

What a Good Day!

It's early on Wednesday and I am going to crow about yesterday when I went from this:

To this:


Yesterday, I was up and at 'em early, out the door at home and in the door at work earlier than usual. Got right to it and... BAM! As Emeril would say as he throws some Cajun spice into the dish he's making.

By the time I left work last night, the huge pile on my desk was whittled down to about an inch. There's more coming today, but what was there is impressively less.

Before starting on the entry part, I checked it all, sorted it, added to it and, by the end of the day, cleared it - amazing. The daunted feeling of 'it's too much!' is back in its cage and, while there is still an enormous amount to do, I feel better than I did about that. I still have a stack and I'm debating how to deal with that.

Should I start on that and keep going this morning, and let the other stuff that's reaching alarming proportions wait? Or should I dive into the growing other stuff, whack that back into control, and then go back to this.

That's the problem with two huge and continuing projects - finding that sweet balance where neither is out of control and both are reasonable. Haven't got there, but I will. Heck! Starting from being better than two years behind, I think I've already made great strides.

It's still before five o'clock and I have some time to decide which way to jump, but I've got to make a decision. Waffling is not an option because if I take a half-way approach to either of these, I'm gonna get myself into trouble. No matter. I have time - about two hours now - before I have to make a firm decision.

Outside of that, things are going better.

I had ordered carpet for one of the areas in our building. It was supposed to arrive Monday and be installed yesterday. Until I got the email Monday that said, 'Nope.' Nearly had heart failure at that.

The logistics of arranging something like that isn't just ordering the material and getting the labor lined up. What about all the furniture and the people? If it's done during work hours, you have to rearrange the people - and what about their computers and phones? A lot of pieces had to move, and a new place had to be found for them so they could work. It had all been arranged for yesterday, until it changed.

No matter. Got that resolved, too.

The carpet company was great - they received all the material yesterday - the stuff I had originally ordered and another color we had considered. The 'another color' is a dark, predominately gray broadloom discussed because of carpet tiles we were considering for an adjoining area. That carpet looked better with the tiles, which were also dark, but the tile idea died because of cost, so that area will remain as it is. Going back to past bad experience, I decided on the original lighter color fearing the dark would be too dark, too heavy.

When I told the group what I had done and why, I naturally got blow-back. Just as naturally, when I then said, 'tell me which you want and I'll make it happen', there was more discussion and, finally, the blower-backer backed down - not wanting to feel responsible if it did look as bad as I think it probably would have.

I also got a bit of a challenge tossed at me yesterday because of a decision I made. The person who was responsible for initiating it wasn't in the office - had said they weren't going to be there - and a wrinkle popped up. Material that was supposed to have shipped on Monday hadn't, so it was going to be a day late. It's important stuff and, while our receiving process usually works reasonably well, there have been times when it's broken down completely. Important things have sat without anyone paying attention to the fact that they were important.

Knowing that, and knowing just how important this shipment is, when I heard that it was delayed for a day, and knowing it was going to be needed in the office in which I work - which faces the street and is easy to find for the express company driver - I suggested having it delivered directly to my office. Sent the appropriate e-mails and explained what was happening - BAM! Challenge flag.

Okay. I'm up for it. If the spit hits the fan, it's on me. I stepped in, perhaps overstepped but perhaps not (what if that package had gotten buried or ignored and there had been a scramble to find it / get it?). We'll find out sometime later this morning and, if it does go sideways, I'm wearing my big girl pants and will stand straight and tall while I get whupped over it because, while the shipper and the express company might prove me wrong, I would do the same thing given the same circumstances again.

See, Life's a risk. Getting out of bed is the most dangerous thing we do every day. Sometimes no decision is the worst decision you can make. There is always that great big hanging 'If' that can massively screw things up. There is one certainty in this, though: we will never know if I was right - that will be obscured by whatever happens this morning.

Still, aside from the challenges and blow-back, I do feel good about yesterday, and I'm looking forward to more, this morning. Maybe I can get all those freight invoices cleared... Nope. No way. Just thinking about that stack of bills brings that daunted feeling to the front of its cage with a giant roar.

Now - you have a marvelous day while I go look for that whip and chair...

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment