Sunday, February 7, 2016

Well Thank Gawd That's Over!

Whew! After yesterday I wasn't sure I was ever going to recover. I felt horrible.

After stumbling around the house at six o'clock yesterday morning, I got the cat re-settled and then went back to bed until almost nine o'clock when I got up. In the midst of some more stumbling around, I got my coffee and did a few other things. A couple of hours later I laid down again and napped until three o'clock. I hate doing stuff like that because I feel like I'm sleeping my weekend away. But I did and then I woke up, showered, dressed and went out to do the shopping.

Costco was a much happier experience this week. I got into line behind three other carts. The man immediately in front of me looked around just as the person in front of him got to the belt and started laying out their stuff.

"You have just that? Go on ahead."

Wow! Make-up for last weekend's nightmare or what? I thanked him, had my cards ready to go and wham, bam, thank ya Stan, I was out and done. It was a pleasure. I didn't even think about getting gas. I'll do that Monday morning instead of making the same mistake I made last weekend.

In all, the shopping at Costco and PetSmart took me under an hour and I was home in time for the debate.

That was interesting but predictable, although I was thrilled to see Christie step up and make points. I like Christie. I like his moxie and think that he is a good, viable candidate. My dream ticket is Trump / Christie because both are strong characters, both are outspoken and no-nonsense. Trump brings the business acumen while Christie has the political acumen. I think the two of them working together could make amazing changes in this country, building jobs and creating opportunities, getting the borders under control and undoing a whole lot of the economic damage that's been done to this nation in the past fifteen years - since Bush II was sworn in January 2001

We watched that followed by some of the analysis - equally predicable - until about eight-thirty, then hubby insisted on watching 'Wonder Woman'. Oh... My... God... How stupid is that? I ignored it, playing games on my iPad instead. He didn't comment for a change. Then he wanted to watch 'Star Trek'. That, while still cartoonish, wasn't quite as bad. I was a fan when I was a kid, so I kind of watched it between computer games.

At ten o'clock we started watching Svengoolie. It's funky and silly and definitely geared toward teenagers and/or men who haven't grown up entirely because the whole schtick is just... childish. I mean, how can you take this seriously?

But it's campy harmless fun. Dumb jokes, rubber chickens, a flimsy plywood coffin and a mix of 'horror and hilarity'. I wouldn't go so far on either side of that - little hilarity (light amusement) and less horror (sometimes the movies are laughable by today's standard), but it's humorous and sometimes informative - if you happen to have a 'thing' for B movies. Last night's was Bela Lugosi in 'Murders in the Rue Morgue' from 1932. Little better than a silent film and, based on the number of stars (two), a poor adaptation of Poe's original story.

In bed at ten thirty, after half an hour of nonsense (about all I could stomach).

This morning I actually feel human. Coffee didn't hurt that, and I got my quiche made for the week.

How to take the 'joy' out of cooking? Count the calories in what you're cooking. That's what I do because I want to make sure that I know what I'm consuming and what the chances are of losing weight. I sure do need to lose weight and I'm struggling as everyone does.

One thing I've discovered, though, is that it's not just calories. It's how the foods and nutrients interact with one another. Take my quiche, for instance. Full of protein from the eggs and the chorizo sausage (which I cooked before adding it to remove more of the fat / juices), with a reasonable amount of cheese (1 C = 880 calories / eight servings). I added broccoli and ground flax seed. After adding and dividing I found there are 326 calories per serving. Which is good - but there is a lot of fat because of the cheese, so I need to cut back elsewhere. It's important to track that stuff so that I can, and I will.

The one thing I know is that, no matter what you're eating or how 'good' it is for you, it's quantity more than quality. My biggest problem is that I love to eat. I love it and have a hard time slowing down and stopping.

Of all the addictions a person can have, eating is the one you cannot do without.You don't need to smoke or drink or do drugs but you do have to eat, and that's why losing weight, controlling your habits and portion size is such a nightmare.

Traditional diets are a joke because if you 'diet' as the tradition dictates - cutting calories but not changing habit, you are just about guaranteed to rebound once you revert to your regular behavior. That, right there, is the hardest part - making the changes lifestyle changes. Particularly if you're not the only one in the household or the one doing the cooking.

That's where the rub is for me. I have twelve hours per day in which I can be reasonable and reasoned, but it's that evening meal that's the struggle because, honest to God, hubby is a fabulous cook. Not so great in other aspects, but a fabulous cook. So I'm going to try something new.

We'll see how it goes. I've tried it before and I've had some success (thirty-five pounds a few years ago - twenty-five of which haven't found me again). I just need to get back on track, make it a real habit and stick to it. It'll be a week or two before the habit kicks in and I start seeing results - good or bad - and then I'll know what I need to do.

In the meantime, though, I'm going to go finish the laundry and get some other chores around here done.

Have a wonderful Sunday - Go... I still can't decide between the Broncos and Panthers so I'll split the difference: Go the Best Team on Sunday!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment