Monday, July 6, 2015

Youth and Dreams Are Over-Rated



God, I am so glad I’m not young. Things that seem so hard when you’re in your twenties are still hard in your fifties, but they aren’t so burning because you can see farther.

You know, from bitter experience that what is immediate now, pressing against your nose and breathing heavily enough to cloud your vision in your twenties is boring and old hat when you reach your fifties. By then, with all that experience behind you, you’re better able to step back and away, to weigh the benefits and costs. Everything has costs and benefits, there’s no escaping that reality.

Faced with a particular situation I don’t have all of the answers. I don’t know that Plato or Socrates or Solomon would have the answers, but I can see the distance. I know that a decision made today, in anger or haste, will leave bitter dregs and regret far into the future. A bad decision or bad series of decisions made today will leave the bitter taste of ash long after the immediate need is a painful memory.

In my twenties I thought things had to happen right now or it was the end of the world. What I didn’t see was that the end of the world was almost always something else, entirely.

I was much like any other twenty-something. I often had trouble looking beyond my immediate needs, my wants and wishes and dreams and desires. It’s normal. It’s a hold-over from kiddom when our parents were there and did their best, within their means, to do what they could to make us happy or at least keep us healthy.

If we are deprived of things as kids, dreams take on greater import, deeper significance and meaning. In our twenties those dreams become all-important, perhaps even to the exclusion of longer term happiness and security. Dreams can cloud clarity and higher reasoning, preventing that long-term happiness by the determined chase for something that is momentary.

It’s like, or it can become, the case of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. You want it all now not seeing that if you kill the goose in an attempt to get the eggs, you get one or two eggs but you don’t get them into perpetuity. It’s shortsighted and damaging to both you, the getter and to the goose, the giver.

Instead, it would be better to be patient, to wait, accept what is now, basing your decisions on logic and deep thought not on emotion and reaction, and let the future play itself out.

I had dreams. Some big, some small, all were important because they were mine. Then I got older, suffered the bruises of living and I learned that one thing, one dream usually isn’t worth sacrificing happiness over. Happiness has a higher value than a single moment or a period of a few hours. To me, happiness is a culmination of many things – not just one.

I can’t speak for everyone. Maybe for someone it is that important, but then I have to ask: If you gave up that one dream and had years of satisfaction with a wistful ‘I wish’ instead, which is better?

Why does that dream have to happen in a particular order?

Cart-horse is not the best of all worlds, but sometimes it’s the hand we’re dealt and then it’s incumbent upon us to make the best of a bad situation. By all means, take the time to rearrange the cart and horse but accept what is. Things will be different. Perhaps it won’t happen in the order planned, but they can usually be accommodated.

Will it be ideal? Perhaps not, but few things in life are ideal. Most are far from perfect and happiness is where we find it and, mostly, how we make it. More often than not, it’s a matter of compromise, of giving something up partway to meet someone else, with their conflicting wishes and dreams in the middle. To arrive as an adult – a fully-grown, fully mature grup – at a place where compromise is possible, you have to be willing to bend, to give, and sometimes, depending on the case, to sublimate yourself at least partially in order to achieve that longer-term happiness.

Faced with choices A, B, C and D it is up to the individual to stop and weigh the options.

If I do A because of C, what will happen?
If I do D because of A and B, what will happen?

It’s not likely, in any given scenario, that things will be perfect. At the point though, it’s necessary to pick the options that are best, accept what is, acknowledge what cannot be and move on.

If you cannot do that, all you will do is bring misery and unhappiness, regret, to those around you. Ultimately the individual making the choice will end up miserable, too, because instead of missing one dream, they will likely miss many others – all because they could not have the one.

Then the individual has to ask themselves if that’s their goal, to cause regret. They have to ask themselves, are you going to make someone else unhappy because you can’t have things exactly as you want? If the answer is yes, then they have to ask what is the price? Is that price higher than I want to pay?

I suspect, based on my experience, that if the individual puts the dream above reality, they are going to be wildly disappointed. Everything will collapse and they will be left with nothing. Not love, not wealth, and most importantly, not happiness, and that’s where the price becomes too much to pay.

Dare to dream but be willing to compromise.

Look long-term and make decisions based not on the fleeting moment of Now, but on the future.

Weigh your dreams against the cost to others, and decide which will serve both parties fairly, or at least as fairly as life and circumstance allow.

That's my advice to the youthful dreamers. I hope it's advice that's never needed, but knowing life as I do, the hope is faint.

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment