Sunday, July 19, 2015

I Am A Computer Game Addict



Yes, I admit it. I’m an addict. That's the first step, right? Admitting you have a problem so you can work on it?

I first got hooked on computer games with Heretic in 1995. It was a role playing game with monsters and levels and you had to shoot to kill or be killed. To advance you had to get through the level, picking up new weapons and magic stuff while you went.

I loved it. I played it many times, learned the cheat codes (I had to use the cheat God mode to get through the last game in the last level). I got pretty good at it. I liked it so well that I wish I could download it again, but my current version of windows and the vulnerability of the software would probably be a very bad mix.

Then I started playing Duke Nuke’m. It wasn’t as much fun, so I reverted and played Hexen. That was harder than Heretic, but the same idea. From there I started playing one of the early versions of Doom. That was fun and hard and I spent months of time on the various levels.

I played lots of different games and, when I worked for Software Toolworks for a period of time, I got to play with one of their life-sized games. It was a helicopter. You sat in it, had the controls – the stick and rudders and you got to ‘fly’ it. It was a blast. Then my temp assignment ended and that was that. I still have fond memories.

More recently I’ve done online jigsaw puzzles through Jigzone. They’re relaxing. Depending on the layout and size, they can be challenging; particularly since they’re timed. If you’re just messing around and don’t care to ‘beat’ someone else – the average time – it’s pleasant. If you’re like me, though, competitive, it’s almost no fun because I’m so determined to ‘win’ that the pleasure gets left behind. Just the satisfaction remains when (almost always) I beat the ‘average.

Still more recently, I’ve started playing the popular games, Candy Crush Saga and Farm Heroes Saga, Papa Pear and Bubble Witch.

I don’t know why. They are, really, a waste of time, but they’re entertaining and they’re addicting. I’ll finish my five games and then wait impatiently for the games to replenish so I can try again. Why? For what? I don’t know, but I keep going back anyway.

I go back to replay levels I’ve already played – to try to get a better score or earn more rewards. I confess, I’ve even gone online when I hit particularly hard levels to find the ‘secrets’ (which, more often than not involve ‘keep playing until you get lucky’). It’s not productive, except for passing time and I sit there, sometimes, and wonder ‘why’.

This is my life, my one and only as far as I know and I’m spending it hooked up to my computer to write, to keep up my blog and to play computer games. The writing, my books and my blog, are creative outlets. I accomplish something with them because the books might, someday, make money for me. The blog is both an outlet and a way of advertising.

I know, I complained once upon a time that no one was reading. Few people do, still, but it’s a growing number so I’ll keep at it. Maybe I’ll have a break-through one of these days. Maybe I’ll post something so insightful, brilliant, amusing or stupid that it will escape into the larger world and draw some attention.

But the games, what purpose do they serve, except to pass time and entertain? Couldn’t I find something else to do?

Well, obviously I could. I could clean my house, wash my car, go for a walk or read, but I don’t want to. Those require effort – and I think therein lies the rub. I work hard during the week. I get up every day and go to work, do all the grup stuff I’m supposed to do so, on the weekends, I want to chill. Take it easy and not have to think too hard.

Is that the secret to success for the game developers? People tired of doing the important grup stuff who want to take that chill pill and just hang out for a few hours?

I see people playing different things. On Facebook I get notified that so-and-so suggests I play such-and-such. I usually don’t. I have my addictions aplenty, so I don’t need any more. But that tells me it is widespread.

The fact that King.com, the company that puts out all of these games is able to advertise on television tells me that they’re wildly popular. They’re obviously making money, or they couldn’t pay to advertise.

Look at the ads for Game of Thrones and World of Warfare, those aren’t cheap cartoon productions. They have sets, special effects, actors and actresses. They cost a lot of money, so they’re obviously making more than they’re paying, or it wouldn’t be worthwhile to pay to advertise.

Personally, I think that some of the video game ads are hysterically funny. There’s one in particular for Boom Beach:


It’s stupid. It’s childish. It makes me laugh every single time I see it.

Another is ‘Larry’ for Clash of Clans:


Supercell, the producer of these games, actually has a twelve minute compilation of their ads available on Youtube. All the individual one minute ads they’ve put out gathered into one place, including some spots I hadn’t seen before.

Does this mean I’m ‘normal’ since I play video games – even though they’re no longer the shoot-‘em up variety – am I ‘normal’?

I hope so. Otherwise I’m weird.

Well – I’ve got to get back to Farm Heroes, so have a lovely day!

Best~
Philippa

No comments:

Post a Comment