Saturday, October 10, 2015

Yeahhhh... It's Saturday.

One o'clock in the afternoon, the must-dos are done, and I have a few hours ahead of me to just chill out and relax.

I've been playing Farm Heroes as time allows. Usually when I'm standing at the sink, watering Sam, who increasingly refuses to bend down to drink. I'm increasingly convinced it's because he has arthritis in his neck and shoulders. When not standing at the sink I was running errands and at the bank and picking up MIL's prescription of the week. Every week I'm at the pharmacy because every week one of her many scrips needs refilling. Not a routine I'll miss, when the time comes that it's over, but not one I mind, either. Except this morning because of a woman in line ahead of me.

It smelled as if she had trouble with the perfume bottle this morning. I think she spilled it all over herself because the scent was not just strong, it was overwhelming to the point where I took two steps back, turned my head and struggled to breathe. And I don't have allergies or asthma, so I know it was overpowering.

I'm one of those who never wear scent. I don't even like scented deodorant. I mean, the whole point with deodorant is not to smell, right? So why coat your pits with perfume? I don't get it.

Anyway. Enough of that because I don't want to think about my pits, so I'll tell you about my plans for tomorrow.

I'll get up early and make up a big pot of chile verde and another pot of Spanish rice. Warming comfort food for fall. Of course, it's still hot enough here that it doesn't feel much like fall, but that's okay. It's supposed to be in the 80's early this week, even though it's heading toward mid-October, but that's normal. We might get some rain Sunday after next. If Yahoo is right. Then it might really start feeling like fall.

Still, I'm looking forward to the chile. Hubby bought some peppers - Fresno and serrano - for taco meat and didn't use all of them, so I'll use 'em up. Along with celery, tomatillos, cilantro and an onion. I'm going to see if I can't reduce the liquid this time. I don't like thin, runny stews. I like them thick enough I can stand a spoon up in it, and I've had trouble figuring out how to make this chile thick. Perhaps one can of chicken broth instead of water and chicken broth? I don't know. I'll see. Which is where the rice comes in. If it's too thin, I'll dump the rice in and use that to soak up the excess liquid. Otherwise, if the chile is thick, I'll keep the rice separate and serve it with the chile over the top.

Fascinating stuff, huh?

Then, after the cooking is done, hubby and I are going to start going through the house, clearing things out. I think it's the aftermath of the clean-up of the backyard. He likes the new, clean look, so he's started to think about the house - which is REFRESHING!!! He's even talking about replacing the fence next year!!! It's like a miracle. Of course, I'm not holding my breath. We'll see what happens after tomorrow, but if we get some stuff cleared out, I'll be happy.

There's all sorts of stuff to go through. I started today with simple things that have been cluttering up my half of the closet. Little things that I picked up somewhere along the way and set down on the shelf but never used. Gone. Easy stuff will be just that - easy. Then we'll get to the next level where things will be harder.

Still, I have to keep my eye on the prize. If I don't really need it or really want it, it's going to go. Either to the garage sale pile (and trust me, I ABHOR the idea of holding a garage sale), the donate pile or the garbage pile. I may suggest E-bay for some of this stuff because then we wouldn't have to spend a weekend with a garage sale - setting up, breaking down, setting up, breaking down and getting rid of whatever is left.

It's a personal thing, but I just don't like garage sales. It's like I'm offering my junk for someone else to take home. Which is fine, if the buyer is willing, but why do they want my castoffs? I don't get it. But that's me and I understand there's a pleasure some people get from garage sales. I see it when the neighbors have them. The early birds who show up at seven-thirty or eight o'clock or whenever the start is advertised. The laggards who come to pick through whatever is left. We'll see.

First, I have to get there. In fact, I think I'm going to go get a jump on tomorrow. Grab and toss the low-hanging fruit, and start thinking about the other things.

Have a lovely Saturday!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment