Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Ya Know - I'm Having Fun

Again, it's all little things - just the small stuff that comes along in a day that makes it worth getting out of bed.

Last night I went home feeling lousy. My legs hurt as if I'd done about a billion squats - the long muscles in my thighs, from skin through to bone. I felt like a kinda sorta wanted to kneel before the porcelain princess in the loo, but wasn't queasy enough to make the trip. I just felt like crap - and like I wanted to curl up in the nearest corner and sleep.

There's a bug going around and I got in its way. It flattened me - first on the sofa at about 6:45 last night, and then in bed from about 8:30. Sleeping all night straight is unheard of for me, but I did. Between the getting up from the sofa at 8:30 and collapsing into the bed was no more than about ten minutes, and I was asleep as soon as I settled into position. I didn't wake up until the first alarm went off at 4:45. At the third alarm at 5:45 I debated, then sent an e-mail saying, pretty much, "you'll see me when you see me" and then I went to sleep again, and slept some more. In all, it was probably twelve hours. Not bad for me, since 6.5 is normal.

When I finally did manage to pry my eyes open at 7:30 I felt a lot better. The achiness in my legs was gone. The general malaise and yucky stuff had passed. I didn't have a fever, so it was good.

Getting to work I still felt like I'd left my brain on the pillow - 2+2 was an advanced mathematical formula at that point. Since then, though, I've started feeling better, more alert and think I can figure out 2+2. I might even be able to manage 3+3 or 4+4.

I solved a few problems that were lurking, then got a project out of the way. After that, I got started in on the growing pile of other stuff waiting.

I do have to say that, right now, I feel as if I'm standing at the bottom of a col in the Swiss Alps and there's an avalanche heading directly for me.

(Aside as a sanity check: yes, 'col' is a word. It means a narrow gap between two mountains - narrower than a pass.)

See? There's another cool word. I love words, but then I've mentioned that a time or two before. Another point in my favor today - I got to use a rarely used word. Yay me!

Back to that, though, it's coming in faster than I can process it, so the stack is growing and it's getting a bit scary. Of course, it is month-end, so that's part of it. At least I'm busy. That's a good thing, too.

We're supposed to get rain here tonight. Again, as I have for the past couple of years, I'll believe it when I see it, but 'they' keep talking about it. First, it was supposed to be rain - with an 'r'. Now they're saying sprinkles - with an 's'. A baby water-falling-from-the-sky event but at this point, we'll take whatever we can get.

It is cloudy outside right now.  What I don't get though is when people say "it looks like rain" or "it feels like rain". I hear that and it's a head scratcher.

Maybe because I'm from California and it's drier here, we don't get that heavy, damp feeling before a rain very much. When it's cloudy, it's cloudy and there are few times when it "feels" like rain. Sometimes, when the clouds are thick and heavy looking it will "look" like rain but, for me, because of how literal I am, unless it's actually a water-falling-from-the-sky event, it doesn't look or feel like rain. It's dry until it's not is an easier way of saying it.

But that's me and I'm not you so if you like saying 'it looks like' or 'it feels like' you go right on ahead. I'll ignore it and just smile, nod and maybe, if I'm so inclined, will say, 'yep, it sure does'.

The countdown to NaNo is getting shorter. My fingers are itching to cheat but my character is saying, 'no' even though I am starting to wonder how on Earth I'm going to get 50,000 words written in the time allowed, along with working full-time, commuting ten hours per week, and trying to have a home life with the family. I guess I'll just have to type really, really fast.

Another really nice gift from today is that I've been asked out to lunch tomorrow - in thanks for saving someone's bacon. They were doing something, it didn't go well, I stepped in and saved the day for them. In thanks, they're going to feed me. I love being fed, so I didn't say no, even though I did try the, 'oh, you don't have to do that!'.

So, the good things all lined up for today are:

Maybe some water falling from the sky
Being fed
Being upright without feeling like I'm about to fall over.
And I got to use the word 'col' in a sentence.

Yep. It's been a pretty darned good day. So, on that note, I hope your day was equally filled with little blessings and that your getting out of bed this morning was worthwhile.

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment