Monday, January 11, 2016

Oh Well, Too Bad, So Sad...

...cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it. That's what my daughter used to say and she was right. Sometimes that's all you can do. Build a bridge and get over it.

Like Saturday's lotto drawing. High hopes, grand dreams and... $5. That's it. Which, considering I bought only four plays really isn't that bad. At least I got something for it.

Will I play again? Yeah, I will. I stopped and bought four more chances this morning.

What remains fascinating to me is that only about 75% of the possible number combinations were bought by Saturday, yet, according to one report I read Friday night, more than $1B was spent. So if more than $1B was spent and each play costs $2 that is 550,000,000 number series drawn. How does that work if there are 550M series but the odds are 292M?

I don't know. All I know is that for Saturday's drawing I bought four chances. I know that some people bought ten or twenty or thirty. On the news I heard about some people buying several hundred (I wonder how well they did?), but with all the people playing there were still one quarter of all the possible combinations not picked? What is the statistical probability of that given that not everyone went the quick pick route and, presumably, the quick picks aren't duplicated? Or are the quick picks duplicated? Another interesting question to cogitate over in the shower.

Well, no matter. Now it's going to climb to an estimated $1.3B and the mania will increase. Given that, despite the steep odds, why not play again? $8 against about a possible multi-multi-multi million lump sum payout after taxes if I win? Think about how much good I could do with that! And there is a benefit to living in California - a big one in this case. There is no tax on lotto winnings so that after tax amount, that is the lump sum payout after federal tax, so it would be a very nice sum, indeed.

As for other things, there's the discussion of Obie-One's gun control nonsense. There's a heated discussion going on over on the writer's site in which I participate. I don't know why I get into politics over there. It's a distraction, but I do and there we are.

In that forum it's a matter of whether the Executive Orders just signed by Obie-One are binding. I was surprised to learn that they are, sort of. Until someone takes them to court and demands a legal decision. My question there is if they are so powerful and binding, why doesn't Obie-One go all the way? Why didn't he pen those Orders to force legal, law abiding gun owners to turn their weapons in by date certain? Because he knows, and Loretta Lynch knows, and anyone with half a brain tied behind their back knows that such a thing would not stand up in court.

Aside from that, there's Trump's usual boorish behavior and ignorant ejaculations.

Now don't get me wrong, I support The Donald because I think he's a man who can get things done. He's a man who understands the importance of negotiation, of finding common ground from which a discussion between adversaries can expand. He's just wildly insensitive and has a remarkable ability to offend people. I genuinely don't think he's even trying. God forbid he actually tried! But hopefully he's not. Hopefully he's just an intelligent person who doesn't understand the benefit of filters and how they should be used. I'd like to see him learn, to have someone close, someone trusted, take him aside, sit him down and give him some help because it would go a long way toward making him more palatable as a candidate.

For me the bottom line is that I am looking for Mr. Most Effective to sit in the big chair. We've had thirty years of Mr. Nice Guy and look where that's gotten us. From #1 in the world in 1989 to about #10 in the world and we're declining. Which is what all powerful civilizations do given history and the lessons it teaches. I just hate to see it happen while I'm around. If I wanted to live in some other country I would go there. But I don't. I want to live here and I want this country to be the best it can be, but we're not right now.

Then, of course, there's the boor on the other side. The tiresome Hilliary who wouldn't know Truth if it came up, introduced itself, shook her hand and kicked her in the butt.

Which brings up an interesting idea for mulling. A debate between He-Boor and She-Boor. I wonder who would win? Both of them play fast and loose with the truth, although he doesn't have the track record of scandals and criminal allegations in his background. All of which give him a stock of ammunition to use, although the girls will cry "foul" even while she's attempting to kick him between the legs. Schoolyard stuff.

Then there's Bernie. Poor, weak-willed, limp-wristed Bernie who says he wants something but is really too scared to pursue it with will and determination. That's shown by his capitulations against Hilliary during the debates when he could have caused some major damage (e-mails and Bill's serial womanizing). Imagine him going toe-to-toe with Vlad. There's something to make me smile in pity. Now, when it doesn't count, not later when it would.

What would be really interesting is a four-way debate. Hilliary and Bernie on the Left, Trump and Cruz on the right. That would separate the men from the boys pretty quickly I think, and give voters on both sides a chance to see their candidate in action against the opposition. Of course that would never happen.

Hilliary would want the debate held during the Super Bowl or some other high profile event, maybe the Emmy's or the Oscar's or some other obfuscating 'thing' so no one would watch, or on some obscure channel in the middle of the night for the same reason.

Bernie would go along to get along, as he always does (pantywaist).

Still, it would make for entertaining television.

But, in the interim, before the next debate, I think I'll just dream about what I could do with my lottery winnings. I'll let you get to that, too. Have a lovely day and sweet, sweet dreams!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment