Saturday, January 2, 2016

Mornings Like This Usually Aren't Mornings Like This

We've all done it. Every single one of us has done it at least once during our lifetime - whether when we were kids or as grups.

"It" is that moment of waking when you think, "Ahhhh, it's Saturday." You snuggle down under the covers and settle in to go back to sleep and then reality leaps in, shouting and waving its hands. "Aw, crap! It's only (name the day of the week)!" A frantic look at the clock usually followed by "Oh, spit! I'm late!" Which is then followed by an even more frantic game of Beat The Clock.

Happy, happy day for me! I had that moment, only I woke up, snuggled and thought, "Crap. Today's Sunday already." I started planning my day, what I'm going to make for lunches, the chores I had to do (which are done which is why I'm sitting here, writing this). I started thinking about Monday, what I have to do there, what I need to do there (damn that Gantt Chart, anyway!).

After a few minutes Sam started crying piteously from the next room. Poor thing sounded so forlorn that I had to get up. I threw off the covers, turned my hips and hit the floor, then took a double-take look at the clock. No. No way! It couldn't be eight forty-five already! I pulled the iPad over and, sure enough, it was. Poor Sam! No wonder he was crying, he probably thought he had been abandoned.

Still thinking it was Sunday I took care of him, did my upstairs chores - scooped the boxes, fed the cat, watered the cat (standing at the bathroom sink so he can drink from the palm of my hand). I made the bed, straightened the room. Then headed downstairs and turned on the heat, cleaned the counters, emptied the dishwasher. In other words, nearly an hour passed before I had a sudden thought followed by a disbelieving, "Nah. No way. It can't be Saturday, can it?" A quick search through the TV listings (since my computer wasn't on and the iPad was still upstairs) and my suspicion solidified. When I stumbled across the QVC shopping network with its 'Saturday Q' I almost jumped for joy. It is only Saturday. Yee-haw!!!

It was the cookery plan that threw me off. I always do my cooking for the week on Sunday, but here it was, Saturday morning and I was thinking of cooking.

I still have a boatload of not-such-fun stuff to do: laundry, folding, putting away. Hubby wants to move furniture and clean. But I also have that much more time for the fun stuff, too. For doing this and shopping at Costco (dare I say I love Costco?), and writing and other stuff I get to choose to do.

Such a nice day. Such a cold day. While I was choring* around the kitchen this morning I looked out the window. There was a scrub jay in the yard. The poor thing was trying to hide a seed for future eating but the ground was too hard. He tried one place, then another, then a third. I got started pouring my coffee so didn't see the end of his attempts but when I looked out the window again, he was gone. I hope that he did find a soft spot for his seed and, more than that, I hope he remembers where he left it when it's wanted.

*Yes, I know that it's not a verb, but it's what I was doing, so I made it work for me. Sorry.

And look at that! That resolution I refused to make yesterday, the one rejecting the use of the words "hope" and "so" has paid off. I didn't toss them in like confetti.

I won't even use it now. Instead I'll be firm and direct: have a lovely day!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment