Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Why Does Microsoft Hate 'Me'?

This seems to be my week to question and complain.

Yesterday, I was confused by the bad behavior by 'all' in Baltimore.

I know it's the vast minority that are acting out, behaving badly, but that's what we're seeing on the news, so it's the impression left.

This morning, I'm wondering if Microsoft hates 'me' - the PC user who does not own and has no wish to own a handheld or 'Smartphone'.

Two weeks ago I downloaded Microsoft updates.  Something I have routinely done for years.

It 'broke' my computer. Nothing worked.

I used my iPad to access 'help' so I could figure out how to get into Safe Mode to fix what was broke. After choosing the innocuous 'Refresh' I ended up back at almost ground zero. All that was left were my operating system and personal files. All of my installed programs had been wiped clean.

What!?

I finally managed to get my internet working again. I went to Microsoft's website and got a technician online and, after more than an hour he had a suggestion. I could pay for an online consultation service - to undo the 'damage' their updates had caused. I declined. Firmly.

Three days of struggle later, I had put it behind me. Laptop is functioning. Chosen programs installed and running. I'm still configuring small stuff - like my MS Word styles and a few others things. Nuisance things, but most of it is fixed.

Yesterday morning I went to shut down (shoot me now, please!) and there were updates to install.  Remember 'plug and pray'? Yup. Did the dutiful and downloaded.

Apparently I now have a new version of Windows OS, which is fine. Seems I have some new bells and whistles. Whoop-dee-doo-da-day since I can't see what they are, but I'll trust that they're there.

It took an hour for the bloody thing to download and install, and install and configure and install some more. I let it run while I went to work.

Got home last night, screen was black, power was off. Okay. Pressed the power button. Screen lit up, whirligig appeared as usual... Couldn't connect to the internet to finish configuring. What!??! Crap! Broken again... Turned it off in disgust and went downstairs to watch the Giant's game.

This morning, I tried again. Could not connect to the internet.

Now, before I go farther, let me ask for a general opinion:

If my wifi settings worked and worked well before, why would Microsoft take it upon 'themselves' to change them?

Answers?  Hints, suggestions or anything else? Nope? Yeah - beats all out of me, too.

They did, though.

According to the message I got once I reached a point where I could log in and start fixing what they broke again, my internet connection had been reset so I would have to manually connect.

I beg your pardon?

Just how does one 'manually' connect to the internet through a wifi connection? It's wireless, guys! That's what the 'wi' in 'wifi' stands for! There is no wire to manually connect - it doesn't exist!

Jeez... And they call this an 'improvement' and 'upgrade'.  My left foot...

And, on that note, the rest of my day will be better and I hope yours is lovely with no hiccups at all!

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories
Friend me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/philippa.stirling

No comments:

Post a Comment