Friday, April 17, 2015

First Blog

Good morning!

Admission:  this is my first try at blogging and it's a bit intimidating.  What do I say?  Will anyone care?  Probably not, but we're all doing it anyway, so why not me, too?

I don't know what this will be - ramblings, little tit bits of information about me, about my place in the world (Sonoma County, California), grumblings.  Maybe a flash fiction piece or something longer.

You see, I want to be an author.  A friend of mine and I are currently writers.  We put things down on the modern paper of a computer screen - stories and so on - but we haven't yet been discovered.  So we're writers.  Once we're discovered and get published, or publish ourselves, we'll become authors.  It's kind of like caterpillars to butterflies.

Eighteen months ago I decided to stop writing in a vacuum and see what was available to budding writers for honing skills and gaining some visibility.

I discovered Harper Collins's writer's site, Authonomy - https://www.authonomy.com/ - which is a place where writers of all stripes and abilities get together.  We post books, we talk, we fight, we laugh, we joke.  It's kind of like Christmas in a big dysfunctional family at times, but it's my second life.  When I'm online, I'm almost always there, laughing and fighting, writing and posting. 

Right now I'm on the cusp of moving from writer to author.

A few months ago, one of the published and highly successful Authonomy members posted a link to the Inca Project - http://www.incaproject.co.uk/.  It is a website for new, recently discovered or undiscovered authors.

I submitted a bit of my writing based on their requirements.  They accepted me as a member.  A couple of months later, after gathering my courage, I offered the person who runs the site my MS.  He read it, wrote back that he loves it and wants to see it set loose on the world.

Largely because of his wonderful and much needed pushiness, my chrysalis is splitting.  In another couple of months my first book will be out on Amazon and I will emerge into the world with a brand new shiny set of wings.

In the meantime, I'm working on other things.  It's my passion.  It's what I love doing more than anything else, which is another reason I created this blog.  It's an extension of my desire to write, to write well and to provide entertainment and a little escape from the stuff 'out there'.

So - that's my first blog under my belt.  I'll be back and, hopefully, I'll have something more interesting to offer.

Best~
Philippa

Follow me at:  Philippastories@twitter.com

1 comment: