Friday, April 1, 2016

Jim Geraghty - Don't Be Obnoxious, 'k?

Jim Geraghty is a perfect example of why I don't merely dislike the National Review and its collection of vapid pundits. I loathe them. Yesterday he posted an article with a title dripping foul contempt across my computer screen: 'Trump Supporters Are Foolish Idiots on the Titanic'.

That's the problem with giving the punchline away at the outset, Jim. No one reads past the title.

As a Trump supporter, I'm not going to waste time reading that article, or any other by him. I don't need some asphyxiated pinhead telling me that I'm wrong. Why I'm wrong doesn't even enter into it - he hasn't a clue why I think as I do.

For Trump haters, it's validation. Still, it's probably a pointless read since he's preaching to the choir. He probably hasn't even made the tiniest effort to discover why so many people across the board want to have Trump as president. Without that, he can't add anything new or interesting to the theme. It's just that he's got his idea and he's convinced it's right so he's going to bloviate on it. Probably to meet a deadline.

It's why I call them asphyxiated pinheads. They have no capacity for at least trying to see the other perspective. They are too unimaginative for that. Without trying to learn what it is that makes people who support Trump tick, they sit in front of their keyboard, breathe deeply in their rarefied atmosphere, exchange more CO2 for O to get that rush of superiority and then start writing.

It's plain as day that in their opinion if we do not fall in precise lock-step with their view of the world and how things should be, we're a moron or a passenger on a political Titanic or both.

Now he's just as entitled to have his opinion as you or I, but to sit in judgement of a broad base of the American public - no.

I ask you, who died and gave him that right? I'll say it flat out right here so there is no mistake: I do not give him that right. And I do not like being mocked or insulted - and he and his cohorts at the National Review and Weekly Standard keep doing it.

Let's see if this works: Hey! Geraghty! Spend a dime and pick up a copy of:



It's available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble and I think you should probably spend some quality time studying it. Somehow I doubt that Dale recommended insulting your way into popularity.

Whatever.

I saw on Twitter yesterday that the GOP and Trump are trying to mend fences. Again. At this point that fence is probably more wire than wood and I don't know if it's going to hold. Probably a week or so, at best, until something else blows up - real or manufactured.

As for Trump, what needs to happen is he has got to get his points in order. He has got to stop shooting from the lip.

Just a few hours a day with his team of political advisors would be time well spent. Practice how to present ideas in as few words as possible. Learn to side-step the questions you don't want to answer in a way that doesn't make you look foolish. Grasp the fact and hold it tight that you do not have to answer every question put to you. Think before speaking. BE HONEST - which is something I know Trump well knows how to do.

Not answering a question is easy. Just say, "You know, I'd rather not answer that in detail right now. I have a plan but it's still early stages because so much can change between here and there, but here's the broad outline..." Then outline it - in broad enough strokes that there's some form but no detail. Like the nukes for Japan - that should have been easy.

"Well, Anderson / Chris, I think that having a line of defense between us and North Korea seems like a good thing. Japan is an ally - we've been friends for decades. We do business with them. We trust them, right? So why not? Same with South Korea."

On nuclear proliferation and the difference between 'need' and 'want' - sometimes we need things that we don't want. Make it a joke - "you know, Anderson / Chris, I don't like going to the doctor for my annual exams. I don't want to do it but it's something I know I need to do, so I do it."

Just slowing down and deliberating on what to say would go a long way toward making what he says more palatable, less off the wall.

It won't shut the pinheads up, but that's okay. The nattering-class can go on nattering and the rest of us will go on ignoring.

So, that's my take and I wish the pinheads well. I won't be reading a word that they write and they won't read what I write, but I do wish them well.

Best~
Philippa

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PhilippaStories

No comments:

Post a Comment